by Heather Dalgleish
With the cold winter air nipping at our heels, is there a better time to delve into a deliciously rich tomato pasta stuffed with aubergine and mushrooms? Quick, easy and kind to those oh-so-tight student purse strings, whip out your frying pan and get ready for some good old-fashioned, hearty goodness.
Serves two. (Perfect for those student leftovers!)
- 1 aubergine
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- A handful of mushrooms
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons of red tomato pesto
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200g of pasta
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Putting the hob on medium heat, add the garlic and olive oil in a pan and toss around for a few minutes until the garlic has softened.
- Pop in the aubergine and mushrooms, simmer until they’ve browned.
- Mix the stock cube with five tablespoons of boiled water until fully dissolved, then pour over the aubergine and mushrooms.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, pesto and puree, making sure to stir generously.
- Leave the mixture to simmer for 15-20 minutes, remembering to stir every now and again.
- Whilst the mixture is simmering, cook the pasta. (Remember to salt!)
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, stirring until fully coated in the sauce, adding seasoning to taste.
And enjoy! Serve with a crisp, refreshing white wine.