by Heather Dalgleish
When’s a better time to bake than Christmas?
These indulgent cupcakes are the perfect festive treat for those chilly, long nights. A subtle orange flavour combined with the richness of the chocolate creates a devilishly moreish result. So, get ready to pull on your apron and make your own herd of adorable little reindeer to pull you into the jolly season.
For the cupcakes:
- 150 grams of butter/margarine.
- 150 grams of caster sugar.
- 3 medium eggs.
- 120 grams self raising flour.
- 30 grams cocoa powder.
- Zest of one orange.
- ¾ of a Terry’s Chocolate Orange, roughly chopped.
For the buttercream and decorations:
- 2 heaped tablespoons of butter.
- 4 heaped tablespoons of icing sugar.
- Half a table spoon of orange extract.
- 3 teaspoons of cocoa powder.
- Dairy Milk Buttons.
- Smarties or M&Ms.
- Chocolate pretzels.
- White chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan (gas mark 4), and line up your cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter/margarine and the caster sugar together until fluffy and light.
- Beat in the eggs until well-blended.
- Gradually beat in the flour and the cocoa, until the mixture is a soft brown colour.
- Gently fold in the chocolate orange and zest, and spoon into the cases. Try to make them all even for a uniformed look.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes until bouncy to the touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst they cool, make the buttercream. Mix the icing sugar and butter together until creamy. Add the orange extract and cocoa, continuing to mix until the mixture is rich brown.
- When the cupcakes are cool, evenly spread the buttercream on top of each cupcake. Decorate accordingly.
And enjoy! The cupcakes will last three days in an airtight container. Pair with a hot chocolate for a feast!