Celtic had planned to welcome around 700 spectators to Sunday’s clash with Motherwell, but this morning it was revealed their plan to host limited numbers of fans has been blocked by the Scottish Government.
The decision has been met with frustration overall after a similar plan to allow rugby fans back in the stadium was given the green light, leaving football fans calling discrimination.
Ex-Celtic star and TV pundit Chris Sutton took to Twitter to give a tongue in cheek comment, saying: “Good to see the rugby test event still getting the go ahead though on Friday… rugby fans obviously a much better bunch”.
The former footballer’s comments plays on the notion football fans are unfairly punished compared to those attending rugby matches in the country.
Fans had previously been told a return to matches in some form could be made by the middle of next month, but in order for this to happen test events would need to be carried out, meaning a refusal to allow such plans could push the initial September 14th date back.
This isn’t the first time fans in Scotland have faced the wrath Scottish Government. Buses carrying supporters have been known to be regularly raided by police in order to seize any form of alcohol.
Whilst if the same group of people had to travel to Murrayfield, the home of Scottish Rugby, they would be allowed to purchase beverages in the ground.
On the issue a Scottish Government Spokesperson said: “We recognise there is disappointment that the proposal for a pilot on 30 August has not been approved but we are looking for suitable alternative dates for football pilots.
“We need to allow sufficient time for any test events to be informed by learning from other events – in particular the rugby match at Murrayfield on 28 August”
Celtic’s test event being pulled will no doubt put further strain on what was already a poor relationship between the Scottish Government and football fans.