Stirling Council resumed full ownership and management of the National Wallace Monument on Friday 27 November, and will enact the decision made by the Council’s Finance and Economy earlier this month to grant free entry to Stirling Council residents in 2021.
The offer is part of the wider plans for the Scottish landmark to ensure its success at a period when tourism is being challenged.
Convener of the Finance and Economy Committee, Councillor Margaret Brisley said: “This radical move shows the Council’s commitment to maximise access to our publicly owned tourism attractions for all local residents.”
The Monument is owned by the Council but for the past 25 years has been leased to Stirling District Tourism.
Vice Convener, Alison Laurie said: “It’s fitting on St Andrew’s day that we mark the return of the management of this iconic Scottish landmark to the people of Stirling and reaffirm a commitment to offer free entry to almost 95,000 people over the course of 2021.
“The Council also has a duty to look out for its communities and, given the financial impact of the pandemic, we felt giving all residents free entry to the monument was the right thing to do.”
The plans will be supported by Monument staff, with all 19 employees who formed part of the transfer being employed by the Council.
Full details of the offer and how residents can access it will be available shortly.
You must log in to post a comment.