Andy Murray will miss the Australian Open after failed efforts to find a “workable quarantine” following his positive COVID-19 test.
The British tennis star was originally due to fly to Australia last week, but his plans were halted after his test results came back.
He had hoped to find a solution which enabled him to travel at a later date and isolate in Melbourne, but an agreement with Tennis Australia couldn’t be reached.
The former world number one said he is “gutted” not to go.
“We’ve been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine, but we couldn’t make it work”, Murray said.
“I want to thank everyone there for their efforts. I’m devastated not to be playing out in Australia. It’s a country and tournament that I love.”
Murray had only qualified for the tournament after being given wildcard entry, due to his world ranking being 123rd.
The Scotsman only played seven official games in 2020 due a combination of a lingering pelvic injury and the coronavirus pandemic, which caused worldwide tennis tours to be suspended for five months.
The Australian Open begins on February 8. The next Grand Slam Murray can participate in is the French Open, which begins on the May 24.
Featured image credit: Sky Sports