World Vegan Month is upon us. What is a better way to celebrate than with this easy and yummy apple pie recipe! It’s a great way to use up any fruit that’s on its way out and is also gluten-free.
For the pastry: (double if you want your pie to have a lid)
- 125g plain gluten free flour
- 50g olive oil spread
- pinch salt
- 1tbsp water
For the filling:
- 100g olive oil spread
- 3tbsp plain gluten free flour
- 4tbsp water
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large apples, cubed
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and grease a 20cm diameter round tin.
- For the pastry, combine the flour, spread and salt until the mixture is like breadcrumbs. Then add water until you have a smooth dough. Pop in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
- Melt the spread in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and mix. Then add the water and both sugars and mix well.
- Turn up the heat so the mixture begins to boil. Stir in the cubed apples and cinnamon. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry until 1/2cm thick. Place in the tin, but be careful as it can crumble easily. Place the filling inside.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 30 minutes. Serve warm with your favourite vegan cream, custard or ice cream!
Feature image credit: Ciara Tait (Instagram @the_spirit_of_photography_)