Spring semester is the perfect time for picnics by the loch and long walks around campus. The picnic essentials are well-known, sandwiches, sweets and of course sausage rolls. This recipe is the perfect way to shake up the classic sausage roll.
- 320g of ready-made puff pastry
- 6 chorizo sausages
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat oven to temperature suggested by the puff pastry
- Remove the sausage meat from its casing in a bowl
- Spread out the puff pastry dough and cut in half to form two long rectangles
- Mould half of the sausage meat into a log shape and lay in the middle of one of the rectangles, repeat with the second rectangle
- Use the beaten egg to brush the long edge of the pastry before folding over the unbrushed side
- Use a fork to gently press the sides together, wrapping the pastry tight around the sausage meat
- Cut the log into as many pieces as desired, recommended seven pieces per log
- Gently brush the rest of the beaten egg over the top of the sausage rolls and add paprika seasoning
- Bake for the recommended time, ensuring both pastry and sausage is cooked through and pastry is golden brown
Leave to cool and enjoy!
Feature image credit: Tesco