Record-breaking footballers reach Scottish Cup Fourth Round

5 mins read

The University of Stirling Men’s First football team made history on Saturday with a 1-0 win over Albion Rovers in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup.

Fourth-year student Euan McGill tapped in James Russell’s cross in extra time to put the footballers in the Fourth Round of the competition for the first time in the club’s history.

The win against the League Two side means Stirling is the first University side to reach the last 32 of the famous competition in more than 50 years.

Head coach Chris Geddes said: “I am absolutely delighted with the result – the players put in a phenomenal performance, their best of the season so far, and deserve all the plaudits they will receive on the back of this win.

“We got a bit of luck because we had a lot of chances and didn’t score, then they had a penalty and missed it, but we had that bit of quality when we needed it.

“You could hear the crowd, and we’ve never had that, so to hear that was just unbelievable. It was a great occasion and a memory they’ll savour that will last forever.”

Cathy Gallagher, Executive Director of Sport at the University of Stirling, shared her delight for those involved in Saturday’s historic win.

She said: “I am thrilled for the players, their incredible coaching team led by Chris, and the supporters who turned out in great numbers and from all corners of the University.

“The team have put in superb performances this season, but this has to be their biggest achievement yet, and I send them all my warmest congratulations.”


The footballers headed to Coatbridge with a chance to make history with a place in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup was on the line.

Stirling had every right to make a confident start in the game, coming into it on the back of an 11-match unbeaten run, with ten wins in the process.

Jason Jarvis and Cammy McKinley had the best chances to score the first goal but couldn’t take them.

With two minutes left of the 90, Albion Rovers were awarded a penalty, but Charlie Reilly blasted over the crossbar from 12 yards, and the game went into extra time.

As the game was heading for further penalty drama in a shootout, Euan McGill popped up in the 111th minute to spark Uni celebrations and send Stirling through as history makers.

Euan McGill celebrating after scoring the winning goal. Image Credit: George Vekic

The goal scorer said: “To score a goal in the Scottish Cup is a great feeling, but to win the game it’s unbelievable.

“I’ve come off the bench and been in the right place at the right time to get the plaudits, but it was those boys who played 120 minutes and grafted so much, so they deserve the credit.”


Captain James Berry proudly said: “It passes anything I have ever done in my career. We can draw anyone in Scotland in the next round now – it’s hard to believe, but what a feeling.”

Goalkeeper Ben Fry added: “I said after the last round that we could beat anyone, and we’ve just beaten a League Two team. It’s incredible, and history made for the Uni, so the boys are buzzing.”

“The back three were different class once again, but it’s everyone in the team, even the injured boys, that’s for them.”

The Fourth Round draw will take place on Monday, November 28, following the final match of the round between Ayr United and Pollok, which kicks off at 7:45pm.

The Uni then travel to Nottingham University on Wednesday for a BUCS league fixture, with the chance to win a third consecutive Premier North League title.

Featured Image Credit: @Journeyman09 / Twitter

+ posts


Leave a Reply