Stirling Uni progress in cup after win against resolute Whitehill

3 mins read

The University of Stirling men’s team progressed in the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup by beating Whitehill Welfare 2-1 away in Rosewell.

Whitehill proved a difficult opponent for the students despite playing 2 divisions below. Lewis Walker opened the scoring for the hosts early in the first half.

Ben Woloszyn would tie the game up before halftime.

It was Jake Service’s drilled effort that proved decisive in the end, putting Stirling into the hat for the next round.

Six changes were made to the team that came back to draw against Berwick Rangers at the weekend. It was a chance for some fresh faces to make their mark, and for first-teamers to take some rest ahead of another gruelling season schedule.  

It was Stirling who started off better but were unable to make their early pressure count.

A 13th-minute goal by Lewis Walker, his first for the club, set the Uni back early.

The visitors would create several opportunities but lacked quality in the final third.

At the half-hour mark, Ben Woloszyn, who had impressed on the weekend, was hacked down by a Whitehill player around 25 yards out from goal. Woloszyn stepped up and rifled it past Whitehill keeper, Ben McGinley. A great effort that would tie the game up.  

Backup keeper Jay Maxwell Davila made an excellent save just before halftime to keep the score level.

Stirling put together a strong second-half performance to secure the win.

The second half began in the same way the first did. Stirling was pressing and created several good chances. Ben Woloszyn blazed a shot over the bar, after some good play involving Alex Jeanes.

But Whitehill continued to be a threat, especially on the counter. Goal scorer Lewis Walker and Marc Malloy made lives difficult for the Stirling defence.

The visitors finally got their goal soon after. From a corner, the ball had found itself to Jake Service on the edge of the box, whose low-driven shot beat the keeper, to put the students ahead.

The rest of the game was scrappy, with both teams fighting.

Stirling had several chances to kill the game off but failed to do so.

Whitehill almost scored in the last minute, but the visitors kept the door shut, to hold onto their win.

Stirling head coach Chris Geddes said: “Happy to get through to the next round, ultimately that’s the main thing in the cup.

Boys who haven’t played much recently got a game and we build momentum going into the next game.”

Next up for Stirling University FC is a game in the Lowland League against the Caledonian Braves on Saturday, 3 pm at Forthbank Stadium.

University of Stirling: Davila, Lavery, Aslanoglu, Jeanes, Service, Russell, Woloszyn, Malcolm, Munro, Redwood, Manomey.

Featured Image credit: Steve Waspe

+ posts

4th year Journalism student. Covering Stirling Uni FC for the 23/24 season.

%d bloggers like this: