Fire breaks out in Stirling University atrium

2 mins read
Photo: Ross Brannigan

Students were evacuated on the evening of September 7 after a fire broke out in the Andrew Miller building.

Fire and rescue services were alerted after smoke was spotted in the atrium area at 4.58pm.

Students inside the library, atrium and the Union had to be evacuated, with unconfirmed reports suggesting the smoke was emanating from Market Street End.

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 5.10pm, and entered the Andrew Miller building wearing breathing apparatus at 5.26pm.

Scottish Fire and Rescue said: “Fire and rescue services were alerted to smoke caused by a small fire in a refrigeration unit in the theatre area.”

Rachel Gray, a fourth year politics student, said she had been in the library at the start of the fire, and that “you could smell something awful, a burning smell. At that moment you knew it was a fire.”

Stirling University’s Twitter page said at 6.49pm: “Everyone back in and all sorted. Many thanks to ‪@fire_scot and everyone assisting on site.”

Nobody was injured in the incident, and the fire and rescue service are to update their information in due course.

Essential maintenance works were carried out on the campus’s high voltage system between September 2 and 3, but it is not known whether this is connected to the incident.

*This article was amended on 9/9 for a correction. The fire was in the Andrew Miller building, not the Colin Bell building as originally reported.

Website | + posts

“It is worth ascending unexiting heights if for nothing else than to see the big ones from nearer their own level.” - Nan Shepherd

%d bloggers like this: