Pancake day quickly approaches once again, falling on February 21.
With many mixed opinions on what the best pancake toppings really are, I have decided to compile a list on my personal favourites to give you some inspiration:
1. Starting off strong with Strawberries. These could be paired with anything. My go-to would be strawberries and Nutella, because who does not love chocolate and strawberries put together.
Strawberries could also be paired with a pancake staple, maple syrup.
Or, even, ice cream. Personally, I would suggest any sort of caramel/toffee ice cream or a simple vanilla.
2. My next favourite, which brings a lot of debate to the table, bacon and maple syrup.
Any other food I would say “no way” to mixing sweet and salty. But something about the sweet maple syrup, the salty bacon, and fluffy pancakes, just combine nicely.
3. Next up is a simple topping. Chocolate sauce.
Not much explanation is needed. You like chocolate sauce, you like pancakes, put them together and you can not go wrong.
4. For the more simple taste buds, butter can compliment pancakes nicely.
It ensures your pancakes are not too dry but does not necessarily change the flavour drastically.
5. And to finish off my personal favourites, whipped cream.
Whipped cream is an acquired taste. You either like it or you do not.
I think whipped cream is delicious. It can go on hot chocolate or with fruit, so I think it can be quite fitting on pancakes too.
So there we go, a take on what I think are the best pancake toppings.
Of course, it all comes down to personal taste. There are people who enjoy savoury toppings such as eggs and sausages. And you get the people who have a very sweet tooth and put all sorts of sweets and chocolate and sauces on their pancakes.
That is what is so good about pancakes, they are so versatile.
So get creative. There are no wrong answers when it comes to pancake toppings!
Featured Image Credit: Sydney Troxell on Pexels