Forget fajita Fridays when you can have them on a Monday instead. Make meat-free Mondays easy with this quick and easy no-chicken fajita bowl.
This recipe is perfect for every student, whether you have a busy schedule or limited cooking skills. This is designed to be as simple as possible and use few ingredients, but a few additions can elevate this meal.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Skill level: ★☆☆☆☆
- 200g chicken substitute (I used the Quorn chicken-style pieces)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 150g white rice
- Fajita seasoning of your choice (can mix your own seasonings or save time by buying packet fajita seasoning)
- Splash of water
- Splash of oil of your choice
- Swap chicken substitute for mushrooms
- You can garnish your bowl with cheese, sour cream, salsa or guacamole.
- Add black beans for some extra protein
Step one: Prepare the peppers and onions by chopping them into cubes or strips and set aside.
Step two: Add the rice into a pot. Wash and rinse until the water runs clear before putting it on to boil. Once boiling, turn it down and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Step three: Heat a frying pan, adding a splash of oil before frying the chicken substitute according to the packet’s instructions.
Step four: After a couple of minutes, add your peppers and onions and fry them along with the chicken substitute, then add in the fajita seasoning. Let the vegetables soften, adding a splash of water if needed.
Step five: Once everything is cooked and ready, portion the rice into two bowls before adding your no-chicken mix on top along with garnishes of your choice. And there you have a quick and easy fajita bowl in under 30 minutes.
Feature Image Credit: Rio Kerr