With panic buying wiping most food items from supermarket shelves, bakers are left in disappointment when arriving at the shops. As flour is still hard to obtain and there is lots of time to fill, here are two of the best flourless recipes to make during lockdown boredom.
Each recipe can be made by hand and contains items that are easy to find.
- 50 grams of margarine
- 50 grams of chocolate
- 50 grams of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of syrup
- 50 grams of cereal (Cornflakes, Rice Krispies, Cheerios)
- Place 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tray.
- Put the margarine, sugar, syrup and chocolate in a pan, then melt together on a low heat. You should stir as you do this.
- Once melted, leave the mixture to cool.
- Stir in your cereal of choice until all combined.
- Place a tablespoon of mixture into each cupcake case and then top up as appropriate. To make these more nest-like, press down in the middle.
- Place in the fridge until set.
To make these more exciting, you could place chocolates or sweets in the middle.
Banana Breakfast Muffins
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 and ½ cups of porridge oats
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C or 160°C for a fan oven.
- Place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tray.
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork. Add the milk and combine. This can also be done in a blender.
- Beat your eggs in a separate bowl and add to your existing mixture.
- Pour in the oats, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases until they are around three quarters full.
- Cook for 15 minutes and then leave to cool before eating.
These are healthy snacks and the perfect accompaniment for your morning cup of coffee.
This recipe was adapted from Power Hungry and can be found here.
Keep an eye out for part three of our flourless recipe series coming soon. Enjoy!
Feature image credit: Isla Glen